Part III Ćwiczenia of the handbook Porozmawiajmy... is its integral part and so it is closely connected with part I (an overview of the grammar of the Polish language).
It is intended mainly for the teachers.
The choice of exercises (443 exercises) presented in this part of the handbook was based on the following criteria:
1. Grammatical criterion. It is the basic criterion and corresponds with the layout of the handbook, part I.
2. Situational - thematic criterion, combining grammatical issues with certain situations embracing appropriate semantic fields, e.g. Genitive case was linked to shopping, with a variety of semantic fields (shopping at the stationery shop, chemist’s, etc), exercises on personal pronouns and Dative case with the situation of giving wishes and presents for various occasions, etc.
3. Functional criterion, concerning frequency of certain functions of a given grammatical issue.
With regard to methodology, diversification of exercises was pursued. However, in part III of the handbook, the basic method of revising the discussed grammatical issues remains the sentence structure based on the case government of the verb.
Within a single grammatical category - as far as it was possible - the following scheme was applied:
1. Separate exercises - "automatic", memory, focusing on practising the rules governing the formation of a correct grammatical form;
2. Exercises with the use of a given grammatical form in a sentence:
2.1. Providing the missing grammatical form,
2.2. Choice of a correct word or phrase out of a given word group and formation of a correct structural unit,
3. Formation of sentences without the help of the teacher,
4. Exercises requiring the use of a correct grammatical form and creating an entity:
4.1. In respect of the language;
4.2. In combination of the language structure and visual elements (picture),
5. Texts thematically connected with one issue (semantic field),
6. Dialogues, often with the use of colloquial forms, and practising a given grammatical form. Applying shorter or longer dialogues aims at the use of certain grammatical issues in an increasingly more advanced and natural language level. The dialogues imitate lifelike situations and help memorize lexical items at the same time.
There are many ways to use the collection of exercises (set of exercises) (part III of the handbook), such as, for example:
1. As the teacher’s aid during group classes,
2. As extra teaching material to memorize grammatical or lexical items,
3. As aid in preparing tests,
4. As practising material for those who are self-studying the Polish.
Some of the exercises can be used in multiple ways (e.g. verb + case government + conjugation, different conjugation groups) in the form of photocopies. They are marked with asterisk (*) in the handbook. A detailed index of the presented semantic fields (Topics), as well as an index of grammatical issues touched upon in the exercises are intended to help the teacher or a self- studying person to find and choose the issue.
1. Introduction - Wstęp
2. Symbols and abbreviations
3. Colour symbols
1. Nominative singular
4. Locative and Instrumental
7.1. Cardinal numbers
7.2. Ordinal numbers
8. Accusative and Genitive
11. Nominative plural
12. Nominative plural and other cases
13. Various cases
14. Irregular Nouns
16. Reflexive Possesive Pronoun SWÓJ
17. Comparison of Adjectives
19. Adverbs of quantity
20. Comparison of Adverbs
21. Adjectives and Adverbs
22. Verb TO BE
23. Verbs ZNAĆ, WIEDZIEĆ, UMIEĆ
24. Infinitival Complements
25. Present Tense
26. Verbs of motion
27. Past Tense
27.1. Past Tense (forms without alternations)
27.2. Past Tense (a:e alternation)
27.3. Past Tense (-ną:nę and ą:e alternations)
27.4. Past Tense (e:o:ó alternation)
27.5. Past Tense (different changes)
29. Present Tense, Past Tense and Future
32. Irregular verb POWINIEN
33.1. Motion, direction and place